Saturday, August 8, 2009

Iowa Round II

So I went back to Iowa last fri. The weather was rather nice w/ a couple of thunderstorms. We were there for 8 days. B/c of the circumstances our days consisted of cleaning my grandma's house, flipping through dozens of albums, and eating ham and roast beef sandwiches. A trunk full of ancient pictures of my grandma and letters my grandpa had written to my grandma was found. Along w/ daily journals dating back to the year 1992 and so on. It was quite a trip to read and flip through the letters/pictures/journals that my grandma had. There were new discoveries to be found w/ every flip of a new page. The times were very different but the humanity and love that radiated through these items was tremendously uplifting. Going through these def set my mind that i would like to print a lot of photos and make albums. W/ everything going digital a lil nostalgia is lost. I got to hang out w/ my cuzns whom i havnt seen in years, see a lot of immediate and distant relatives and experienced a part of life that puts my own in perspective and hopefully add some growth to my own "self" as a whole.






Red Cardinal


Filled and refilled this bird feeder, as it had many visitors.


So just in my grandmas backyard alone, we had 2 squirrels, 20 or so birds including 2 cardinals, and a bunny rabbit. My sister loves squirrels i dont know why haha..j/k


In one of the journal entries that my grandma had written on her way to Japan to visit us when we lived there. She had written "There are a lot of orientals here" haha. This Hispanic aisle was in the local grocery store


Biggest ant ive ever seen. I caught him. Put him in the freezer for 30 seconds and had a lil photo shoot w/ him as he thawed out. Then let him go


I was surprised to discover that some of the local artists have skill. Originally thought these were most likely out of towners but then to discover they are actually based in Iowa





One of my early memories of visiting my grandmas house was that she would always play Shirley Temple videos o us to watch.


My grandma made quilts for all of her 5 children and all of her grandchildren. This particular one is a rag quilt and looks to be very comfortable. I still use mine every night




Random corn fields everywhere



A long 8 days! But im glad i went. Maybe ill post more flicks of his visit later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...